ASCENSION PARISH

Louisiana Travel | Place to Visit: Gonzales, Louisiana

Tee Joe Gonzales Museum

The museum is the actual home of the founding fathers of Gonzales – Joseph Gonzales and his son, Joseph Stonewall “Tee Joe” – and sits on its original site along New River.  The senior Joseph was elected sheriff in 1886 and Tee Joe opened a general store/post office the next year in the small village of Edenborn.  Years later, the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company was ordered by the Railroad Commission to change the village’s name from Edenborn to the name of the post office.  Thus, it became known as Gonzales.

With the arrival of the railroad, the settlement grew.  By proclamation of Governor Earl K. Long on May 4, 1952, the once small village became known as the Town of Gonzales.

The museum focuses on the life and struggles of the early settlers to the area.  Furniture, pictures, and clothing from the time period are featured.

217 West Main Street
Gonzales, Louisiana
225-647-2841
www.gonzalesla.com/museum.html