1. Make roux with 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup flour in a heavy-bottomed pot.
2. When roux is medium brown, add chopped medium onion.
3. Season 1 lb. pork chops with salt, black pepper and cayenne (easy on the cayenne). Cut into thirds. Add to pot and cook down onions and brown chops on low-medium fire. Cover and check regularly to stir.
4. As the onions/pork mixture is cooking, add 2-3 medium, diced turnips. Continue to stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick.
5. Chop a stalk of celery and 1/2 bell pepper. Add to pot. If mixture starts to stick, you can add a little water. Cover pot and keep stirring occasionally until mixture is cooked down (about another 1/2 hour).
6. Add about 1-1/2 cup water and bring to boil. Lower fire, cover and simmer until pork chops are tender - about another 1/2 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add water as needed.
7. Serve over hot rice.